My new design is called the Corner Arcade. It’s designed to sit on the corner of a table (hence the name) and is playable by 2 players.
Here’s a demo of the new SGC Micro Arcade:
Introducing the new SGC Micro Arcade. I have had several requests for a smaller (cheaper) version of the Mini Arcade that has HDMI out for connection to a tv/monitor. Pictured below is the prototype built using MDF. The final version will be made using the same bamboo plywood as the SGC Mini Arcade and also run off a Raspberry Pi 2 with the ability to play all the same games. Audio is handled by the HDMI connection and the unit is powered by USB. Pics and a video demonstration of the bamboo unit will be posted shortly.
I have designed and built a couple of 2 player mini arcade prototypes. The one you can see in the first pic is just a larger version of the 1 player mini arcade with a 14″ display. It ended up just being too big and it’s almost impossible to get 14″ LCDs. The second pic is what I’ll probably end up going with. It’s just slightly bigger than the 1 player cabinet with a 10″ or 12″ display (haven’t decided yet) with an extended 2 player control panel. I’ll add some more pics as it evolves.
I have completed Prototype3 which I’ve chosen to make out of 3mm acrylic. The display has been upgraded from 7 inches to 9 inches. To fit the larger display I had to widen the entire cabinet which was a lot harder than it sounds. All the pieces had to be adjusted. It was also quite tricky to glue together. The glue has the consistency of water and was really hard to handle.
This will be the final prototype. The next build will be added to the store for sale.
Prototype2 is coming together nicely. The pieces have been cut, and re-cut a few times, and it’s fitting together nicely. I have tilted the screen back slightly so it’s a little more ergonomic to look at and the control panel has been extended to slightly hang over the edge and rounded off. I have also made the hole for the screen bigger to fit a 9″ LCD as opposed to the 7″ that prototype1 has. Check out some pics below.
Prototype1 has been completed and testing has begun. None of the emulators work with the button configuration and will need to be configured. So far I have been configured and are working:
Sega Mega Drive
Sega Master System
Below are some pics of a couple of games working and the internals. I have also added the “Insert Coin” and “Player One Start” buttons to the side of the machine. I have found that they work quite well there and are easily accessible. Two smaller push button have also been installed just above the display. These will be the “Menu” and “Esc” buttons.
I have also begun designing Prototype2. The screen in Prototype1 is not tilted back enough and the control panel needs a re-design. I will post pics soon.
I have now installed the Raspberry Pi 2, mini amp and speakers. The buttons and joystick have been connected to the Raspberry Pi GPIO pins and the DC splitter has been installed. The DC splitter is what splits the DC power supply into two so I can connect both the display and mini amp. It’s powering on and booting into EmulationStation. No roms yet but I’m happy it’s powering on and holding together.
There were a few measurement errors on Prototype1 so I have re-cut a few of the pieces. The buttons have been fit so I can see what it’s going to look like. The 7″ LCD display has also arrived from China so I chucked it in there as well. No Raspberry Pi, mini amp or speakers at this stage but I think it’s looking pretty good.