Prototype2 is coming together nicely. The pieces have been cut, and re-cut a few times, and it’s fitting together nicely. I have tilted the screen back slightly so it’s a little more ergonomic to look at and the control panel has been extended to slightly hang over the edge and rounded off. I have also made the hole for the screen bigger to fit a 9″ LCD as opposed to the 7″ that prototype1 has. Check out some pics below.
Prototype1 has been completed and testing has begun. None of the emulators work with the button configuration and will need to be configured. So far I have been configured and are working:
Sega Mega Drive
Sega Master System
Below are some pics of a couple of games working and the internals. I have also added the “Insert Coin” and “Player One Start” buttons to the side of the machine. I have found that they work quite well there and are easily accessible. Two smaller push button have also been installed just above the display. These will be the “Menu” and “Esc” buttons.
I have also begun designing Prototype2. The screen in Prototype1 is not tilted back enough and the control panel needs a re-design. I will post pics soon.
I have now installed the Raspberry Pi 2, mini amp and speakers. The buttons and joystick have been connected to the Raspberry Pi GPIO pins and the DC splitter has been installed. The DC splitter is what splits the DC power supply into two so I can connect both the display and mini amp. It’s powering on and booting into EmulationStation. No roms yet but I’m happy it’s powering on and holding together.
There were a few measurement errors on Prototype1 so I have re-cut a few of the pieces. The buttons have been fit so I can see what it’s going to look like. The 7″ LCD display has also arrived from China so I chucked it in there as well. No Raspberry Pi, mini amp or speakers at this stage but I think it’s looking pretty good.
I have begun the Prototype build and have named it Prototype1 (duh). The build is going quite well. I am using 3mm plywood for the prototype, the final build will be made of bamboo plywood which I found to be a very beautiful material which cuts nicely in the laser cutter. The plywood has been laser cut and I have begun putting it together and it is taking shape nicely. That’s not blood by the way, it’s just some weird red stain on the workbench I’m using.