New 2 Player Bartop Arcade Build

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been doing my thing. I’ve been building and posting arcades as per usual. I recently had a request from a client to build a two player bartop arcade machine. I took on this request and soon became obsessed with designing and building the best machine I’ve ever built. I don’t believe there is anything like it available in Australia. I’ve built a prototype which I cut by hand and assembled so I could check the measurements. Once I’m happy with it, I’ll have it cut out professionally. I’m so happy with the build so far that I’ve decided, once I’m finished with this one, to to launch it as a product. There’s a lot more work to do yet (including coming up with a name) and I’ll keep posting updates on my progress. I’ll be demoing it soon in a video.

For now, check out my progress so far. Please let me know what you think on FaceBook or the comments below.

It started as a single sheet of MDF. I traced a template onto the sheet and cut it out with a jigsaw.

2016-08-06 12.22.03

The side panels.

2016-08-06 13.28.49

Other panels.

2016-08-06 12.22.13

Drilled the wholes for the control panel and connected the front panel.

2016-08-06 13.28.19 2016-08-06 13.28.32

Joined the pieces together with metal brackets from the inside. I want the outside to be clean, no screws or bolts.

2016-08-06 14.04.10

The screen is a perfect fit. I’m using a 19 inch AOC IPS display.

2016-08-06 14.51.54

Added some aluminium angles to hold the marquee…

2016-08-08 14.16.20

and a continuous hinge for the control panel. This will allow easy access to the wiring.

2016-08-08 14.17.12

Spray painted a boarder on some 3mm clear acrylic. This should give me a nice black boarder, hiding the display bezel. The acrylic will give the screen a nice, glossy look and a real arcade feel.

2016-08-18 16.11.13

Glued the acrylic to some 3mm MDF and installed it on the machine.

2016-08-13 13.41.14

Mmmm… glossy.

2016-08-13 13.40.43

Magnets to hold the control panel down and for easy access to the internals.

2016-08-13 13.41.22

Chucked some LED buttons and joysticks on. Didn’t have enough of the same button so had to mix and match.

2016-08-13 13.39.58

Installed a power socket and switch on the back panel. Also attached it with a continuous hinge for getting to the innards from the back.

2016-08-15 20.54.23

Installed a couple of customisable function buttons for saving, loading, etc. A PC power button and a button for turning on/off the LED lights. You don’t want the lights distracting you when you’re going for a high score!

2016-08-15 20.54.16

Wired up the controls and LEDs.

2016-08-13 13.40.28

2016-08-13 13.41.34

Fit some LED strip lights behind the marquee. So 80’s.

2016-08-09 17.26.08

Wired up a power board to the power socket to power the PC, screen and lights.


Soldered a button up to the mini PC to turn it on and off.

2016-08-07 18.51.10

Mounted mini PC to the back panel.


Installed HyperSpin on the mini PC and fired it up. Looks good so far. Spent a lot of time configuring the controls, emulators and roms to work properly. This took days.

2016-08-14 21.35.09

Had it tested by the master. If it survives her, it’ll survive anything.

2016-08-06 17.44.34

Cut some vinyl to shape and fit it to the side panels.

2016-08-15 18.02.28 2016-08-15 18.04.432016-08-15 18.12.27

Took the whole thing apart and stuck some vinyl to the rest of the panels. I cut another control panel out as I wasn’t happy with the button layout. Also rounded off the front edge of the control panel with a router.

2016-08-18 12.16.52 2016-08-18 12.16.43 2016-08-18 16.12.51

The finished product. Just waiting on the t-moulding to arrive for the side panel edges. I’ll post some more pics once that’s done.


IMG_0247control panel